Skip to main content

Why I Sing

"When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother,
 'What will I be?'
 What will I be?
 What will I be?

At 6, right after singing 'Country Roads' on stage, I told my dad that I wanted to be a singer.
He hugged me.
8 years later, after numerous shuffles from wanting to be a teacher, a painter, a stamp collector, a librarian, an author, a sharp looking business woman,  I told him again, " Dada, I want to be a singer"
He didn't hug me this time.
At 14, I was a chubby teenager who had no friends. But I had a stereo, and it played Avril Lavigne's ' 2007 album, 'Best Damn Thing', over and over, until I could sing every note and rap every word.
At 15, I agreed with mum and concluded that a singing career is frivolous and risky. So I decided to ace tests ( and I did). But secretly I would spend roughly all day singing.  Mostly Shania Twain and Taylor Swift. Yes, I had a Taylor Swift phase. And no, I'm not that good. I'm okay. But singing made me happy. So I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. See, when you spend a year with depression, ANY form of happiness seems addictive. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Lets talk about the real thing here.
So I have this habit. Ever since I was a kid, I used to sing while we traveled.
 Now picture a 21 year old girl riding a bike, in her extra large purple helmet, rapping aggressively to Eminem's ' Not Afraid'.
Needless to say, I look fucking stupid..
 When my first 'equal -to-love' crush didn't know I existed, my insides broke. It was the real deal. I was 13. And it hurt like a bitch. That's the first time I cried because of a boy. (Ps- I may or may not still look you up on Facebook once in a while) So, I put on my earphones and sang along to Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls. I burnt my diary. It was all very dramatic.
As I grew older, I went out with a boy for the first time. I was 16 and I was in love. Why I went out with that boy, I'll never know. But yes, it ended in a manner where I had to cut the strings myself and sing 'Numb' to numb my pain. Linkin Park knows what they're talking about, okay? (Note to the boy:  You stupid. I'd thank you for the change in my personality, from a naive girl to a strong one, but no. That was all me. So , Fuck you and have a good life I guess?)
When I found love again, I sang 'God Bless the Broken Road'. Despite of how much love and respect we have for each other as friends, as a couple we never did work out. And we tried. So many times, that it started to hurt. So when it was time to take a call, we sang ' Falling Slowly' in front of a huge crowd.
When I decided that I can't afford to go through all that any more, I learnt to play the guitar.
And I sang yet again.
I sang when I graduated, and decided I want to be a rich psychologist.
I sang when I gave an entrance exam and didn't get through.
I sang when I gave an entrance and got through.
I sang when I moved to a new state.
I sang when I met the nicest girls I know.
I sang when I decided to leave the course because I hated it.
I sang when I was so unsure with my life.
I sang when irrelevant aunties took delight in asking my mother and me what it was that I was doing.
And all along, I had my mum and my dad telling me it was alright, despite the fact that I know how difficult it must be for them.
 So why do I sing?
I sing because when I'm up on stage with a mic, I feel an energy that radiates how I truly feel. And I feel alive.
I sing when I want to break your face, because if I don't sing to stay composed enough, I will break your face.
I sing when I have thoughts about giving up, when I don't want to talk to people.
When I lost my voice, a song found it ( that and some honey and ginger mix)
I sang songs because of which,today, I am more than okay with the fact that I will never really fit in.
I sang when I had no friends.
When I did, I sang with them.
They are beautiful people.
When I felt unpretty, I sang 'Stronger'.
And I felt like I was wonder woman, minus the big breasts.
I sing, because every song that I sang, made me.
Fleetwood Mac told me that I could go my own way.
And so I decided, I will do the one thing that makes me happy.
It is a constant source of my energy.
And I know my struggle may seem like a mockery now, but I will work hard enough to not end up where I started.
When I sing that fine day,
I will make it and I will take that bow.
And if not for a crowd, I will sing with my dad.  And man, that would make me very happy.

For now,
that is a reason, good enough for me to tell you why I sing.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words would do justice, to how beautiful and original, a work of art this is...

    Have faith and keep trying, no matter what.

    I'm a fan, if that counts... :P

    May all your dreams and wishes come true. More power to U, G! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect ...way to go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this I was thinking about how I stopped singing.
    Because it made me happy.
    Keep singing you beautiful bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This article reminded me of those tales and memories back in the studio (remember Never Grow Up?) and now what you've become from those days on, I want you to never quit singing because when you sing, it makes you the person you really are. Good luck bull

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article reminded me of those tales and memories back in the studio (remember Never Grow Up?) and now what you've become from those days on, I want you to never quit singing because when you sing, it makes you the person you really are. Good luck bull

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really beautiful. Good luck Gretchen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We Refuse to Sink

I refuse to be sad when there are so many chances that need to be taken.  I refuse to give up even though walking on a tight rope was not something I did. So what if I lost my balance ? Its never too late to get it back. Its never to late for anything.  You might not achive the exact goal that you have in your mind. Its a perception. But know that  when you feel that you haven't gotten there, you already have. You took a chance with life. You readily gave up your mind and became a hopless lover. You gave up your heart and chose to walk alone. You never gave up on your big dreams even though some other douchebag took away your big cupcake.  You did what you had to..to move on.  You had the courage to not give up. You tried.  And that, made all the difference.  

On Love

Love is a hug lasting for 20 seconds extra.  Love is having a crappy day and coming to an old friend selling  you SHEV puri. One that makes all your worries go away. Love is your dad sending you messages that start with  'Check your common sense'. Love is  friends giving you proxies after calling you  a bitch. Love is when your mother teams up with you so you can  pick on your jackass  sibling. Love is the jackass sibling doing your chores(while on a rant). Love is a a dog. Love is a kiss that's given immediately  after you declare that you hated the previous  one. Love is gossiping  with your grandmother over a packet of Lays. Love is 'A walk to Remember'. Love is when she tells her,  that  she loves her better than any guy ever could. Love is when you turn down the lights and put on your head phones. When you love yourself. Love is when he tells you that it's okay if you move on.  That even that won't  change his love for you. Love is new start

The Problem with ' Whatever'

 "So,  Stairway to Heaven or Sweet home Alabama? " WHATEVER man.  Play whatever.  " Hey babe,  do you think I should paint my nails purple or black? " WHATEVER baby. You'll look great either way. " Giselle! Would you like  fish fingers or chicken pot roast? " WHATEVER will do. "... I slog all day and I don't even recieve a 'Hi mum,  you're home' " WHATEVER, MUM. " You know man,  you've been acting like a real dick lately" WHATEVER.  I think it matters have an opinion. I think it matters to give a definite or an unsure answer to someone's question, instead of a carelessly vague 'Whatever'. When she asks you about what colour  looks better,  tell her what you think.  If you hate both the options,  tell her that too.  If you think the purple reminds you of the time you first went second base on her,  tell her that.  She'll wear purple baby. If your mum asks you about food,  tell her.  S